What If I Accidentally Put Metal in Microwave?

Spread the love

Many People ask me what if I put metal in Microwave? In this post, I will be covering that topic...

The Microwave Oven is used to heats up your leftovers, pops your popcorn, and makes your old coffee slightly less awful.

Also Read: Different types of Microwave Oven – 3 types

Chances are, you’re not using it as much as you used to. But if there’s one thing we all know it’s that you should never, ever put metal in your microwave.

Metal In Microwave

We’ve all heard that it’s not safe to put metal in the microwave. But the fact of the matter is, we often put metals in the microwave—like when we heat up a Hot Pocket, for example.

Its pouch has a thin layer of the aluminum lining that is designed to absorb the microwaves and heat up a bit to brown the outside of the Hot Pocket.

If you look closely at a microwave oven, though, that warning might seem a little strange.

How does the Microwave oven work? 

The Science Behind Microwave:

At its core, a microwave oven is a pretty simple device: a magnetron hooked up to a high voltage source.

This magnetron directs microwaves into the metal box where your food in microwave is cooked; the waves bounce around inside the microwave until they are absorbed via dielectric loss in various molecules, which results in those molecules heating up.

Substances that work well here are things such as water, ceramics, and certain polymers, which all end up converting microwave energy into heat quite effectively.

You can learn more about the working operation of a microwave oven, here…

The Science behind the use of metals:

Metals, on the other hand, are packed with a bunch of electrons that can move freely and are therefore great conductors of electricity.

When microwaves hit the metal you put in your microwave, free electrons on the metallic surface end up moving from side to side very rapidly.

This, in turn, prevents the electric wave from entering the metal, and the waves end up being reflected instead.

Did you know?

Metals, such as metal forks, metal knives, and metal spoon, are great conductors of electricity because they contain lots of electron that move about freely.

So, what if I put metal in Microwave?

When microwaves hit metal objects, they get reflected, which can cause problems.

If there isn’t sufficient material in the microwave oven to absorb the reflected microwaves, arcing between the metal object and another part of the microwave oven can occur.

Next…

This looks like a miniature bolt of lightning when it occurs, and it can seriously damage the microwave oven by starting a fire, burning a hole in the wall of the microwave oven, destroying the magnetron, or damaging sensitive electrical components.

Wrap up

A microwave can be a great way to warm up leftovers and cook food quickly in a short time.

You can also cook certain foods in the microwave, like frozen dinners, vegetables, fish, and popcorn. You should maintain the microwave by cleaning it regularly so it continues to work well.

However, you may not be sure how to use a microwave properly and safely or may want a refresher on what you can warm up and cook in this kitchen appliance.

Here Are Some Safety Tips To Follow:

put metal in microwave

Some safety tips to follow while using a microwave oven…

1. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use:

The instructions in the user manual provide recommended operating procedures and safety precautions along with some basic guidelines.

For example, you should not use microwave ovens when they are empty. Also, you should not heat water or liquids for longer than the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations.

2. Use microwave-safe containers:

Use cookware especially made for use in the microwave oven… In other words, use a microwave-safe container

Generally, you shouldn’t use metal or aluminum foil pans because microwaves reflect off of the same goes with metal containers, causing food to cook unevenly and possibly damaging the oven.

And you shouldn’t use some plastic containers because hot food can cause it to melt. It is recommended to use labeled glass, ceramic and plastic containers for use in microwave ovens.

3. Avoid super-heated water:

“Super-heated” means water is heated beyond its boiling temperature, without signs of boiling. If you use a microwave oven to heat water molecules in a clean cup beyond boiling temperature, slight alteration or movement can cause the water to explode violently out of the cup.

There have been reports of severe skin burns or scald injuries around people’s hands and face as a result of this phenomenon.

4. Check for leakage:

There should be little cause for concern about excess microwave radiation escaping from these ovens, unless the door hinges, latch, or seals are damaged.

The FDA recommends looking at your oven carefully to see if any of these issues exist.

FAQ

When you put metal in the microwave, the metal has so many electrons that it will be thrown out by the microwaves, causing a thin sheet of metal to heat up so fast that it could burn the appliance.

When the piece of metal is crushed, it can create areas of concentration for these rowdy electrons.

When microwaves hit metal objects, they are reflected, which can cause problems.

If there is not enough material in the microwave oven to absorb the reflected microwaves, arcing may occur between the metal object and another part of the microwave oven.

Stainless steel will prevent heat from heating your coffee or tea and can damage your microwave…
Make sure, you fully understand that you shouldn’t microwave any metal, even the sheet of aluminum foil that covers leftovers is very dangerous.

In simple words, Microwave ovens work by electromagnetic radiation.

When a microwave oven is in operation, the interaction between microwaves and metal can cause sparks and even flames.

Do not leave a microwave oven unattended when microwave popcorn, as heat build-up can cause fires.

Also check this post, which household appliances consume the most electricity? and to know some tips for saving 35% of the electricity that is getting wasted…


Spread the love

Leave a Comment