is granite cookware safe?
Yes, Granite cookware is safe for cooking and storing any type of food, including highly acidic dishes only if the porcelain coating is not damaged – In simple words
However, we suggest you read more in detail if you are considering purchasing it.
In this article, you will learn in detail that using granite cookware can be safe and much more about granite cookware.
Let’s start from the beginning…
What is Granite Cookware?
Granite cookware is made from granite rock, cut into small pieces and make in the desired shape, for the full manufacturing process of granite cookware you can check this post…
However, some granite cookware does not actually contain granite. Instead, it consists of a stainless-steel inner core that is covered with glass.
This glass is made by fusing porcelain enamel at very high temperatures to create a non-stick surface.
Let’s see Granite cookware’s pros and cons…
Granite Cookware Pros and Cons
What are the granite cookware’s benefits and shortcomings? Many people are looking for new non-stick cookware to replace traditional steel ones.
Granite cookware has recently become the pioneer in supplying non-stick cookware…
The following pros and cons of granite cookware will help you decide whether or not to invest in one.
Advantages Of Granite Cookware (Pros):
Although modern granite cookware is no longer as sturdy as our ancestors used to have, it still has many advantages.
- Unlike cast iron, this type of cookware does not rust.
- Porcelain enamel that is typically used is inert, so you can safely cook acidic ingredients without affecting the taste and smell of your dishes.
- The granite cookware of the modern world does not contain harmful chemicals that can affect our health.
- The carbon steel or aluminum core heats up quickly. This can speed up the cooking time.
- Granite cookware weighs less than cast iron cookware.
- Its smooth, and glossy surface makes it easy to clean.
Disadvantages Of Granite Cookware (Cons):
Like any other product, granite cookware also has some disadvantages.
- It is not suitable for glass stovetops as it can break the glass.
- Unlike older versions that have thicker layers, modern granite is very thin. This results in poor heat retention.
- Granite cookware is fragile and must be handled with care to avoid breaking the enamel coating. Wooden or plastic kitchen utensils should be used when cooking.
- Although many manufacturers claim that their granite cookware is non-stick, many buyers still find their food sticking to the cooking surface.
Granite Cookware: Performace, Safety, And Durability
When buying cookware, one of the things that most people consider is the non-stick capability of the product.
Fortunately, as long as you buy high-quality granite cookware, it will pass the fried egg test. The porcelain coating of this cookware does a good job of preventing food from sticking.
Since it is non-stick, we can also say that cleaning the granite cookware is easy, if you do it in the right way.
Plus, you will be able to cook healthier meals for your family, as you won’t have to use as much oil.
Lead, PFOA, and PTFE – are the three things you don’t want to have on your cookware due to their potential health dangers.
Fortunately, you can get granite cookware that does not contain these harmful chemicals.
When buying a new set, make sure it clearly states that it does not contain lead, PFOA, and PTFE.
This way, even if you accidentally use high heat on your pans, you won’t have to worry about toxins leaking into your food.
- Dropping them can cause any breakage while using this cookware and will scratch your coatings.
- Prolonged exposure to high temperatures will also damage the coating.
The good news is that even if this cookware is delicate, it will still last for years with proper care.
How Safe Is Granite Cookware and Granite Pans?
Granite cookware is a material used in pans…
Today, granite cookware and granite pans are made with a stainless steel core and topped with a glass coating.
Most of the granite cookware has a porcelain enamel fused at 2,000 F.
This creates a non-stick glass surface that is non-porous and inert. Granite these days is much lighter than previous generations of granite due to technological advancements.
It is considered safe unless there are PFOA and PTFE in the pans. These are the same chemicals that are used in Teflon.
Also, granite cookware looks the same as regular non-stick cookware…
If you have a granite pan, be sure to take these precautions:
- Always heat the pan to a maximum of medium-high heat. High heat will ruin the nonstick coating. The maximum heat of medium-high will preserve the nonstick coating.
- When on medium-high heat, make sure to use a little oil. Do not heat an empty pan to prevent food from sticking to an old nonstick pan.
- Use wooden spatulas instead of metal spatulas to preserve the non-stick coating.
Some granite cookware has a porcelain coating…
To protect this coating, make sure to use wooden utensils instead of metal.
Is Granite Cooker Safe?
Granite cookware is as safe as any other, as it is basically the same – they just look different.
- They don’t heat up to the smoking point
- They don’t heat an empty pan to high heat
- Use only wooden spatulas, never use metal spatulas for cooking in this cookware. Once there is a scratch, the coating will gradually peel off.
The best cookware for Indian cooking is uncoated metal containers (steel, aluminum, brass, copper) and clay containers.
If you have a damaged porcelain coating on your cookware, be sure to dispose of it immediately.
You can tell the coating is damaged by frying an egg. If the egg sticks to the bottom of the pan, it is damaged. The pan will no longer be safe to use.
Now, you know that Granite Cookware is safe… completely safe to use.
If the porcelain coating is not damaged, Granite cookware is safe for cooking and storing any type of food, including highly acidic dishes.
Did you know? Even Ceramic Cookware is considered to be the safe and best option.
Although made from different materials, granite cookware and ceramic cookware are about the same when it comes to performance, safety, and durability.
Granite Cookware vs Ceramic Cookware
As you can see, these two types of cookware are very similar in terms of performance, safety, and durability. Granite and ceramic are great options when it comes to cookware.
Although solid ceramic cookware has a slight advantage when it comes to heat retention, both are still great options as long as you get ones that are well made.
However, if you love to have splashes of color in your kitchen, then ceramic cookware is the one for you.
If you’re looking for more information about granite cookware, take a look at this post.
The granite cookware and also ceramic-coated cookware are efficient cookers that will save you time and energy.
However, solid ceramic cookware can retain heat well even after the heat source is turned off.
If you’re wondering, if granite or ceramic cookware can replace your Teflon-coated pots and pans, the simple answer is yes.
High-quality granite cookware and ceramic cookware can prevent food from sticking and can be much safer.
Granite cookware tends to be a better alternative to ceramic cookware due to its greater durability and aesthetic qualities. Granite cookware offers much more resistant to high temperatures.
Granite cookware is a material used in frying pans. Most of the granite cookware manufactured is safe unless there are PFOA and PTFE on the pans.
For the people who have more questions about cooking in granite cookware, consider checking this post.
1 thought on “Is Granite Cookware Safe To Use In Kitchen”